Taylor Swift should star in 'Grease' remake, says Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John has claimed that Taylor Swift should star in a remake of Grease.

The actress, who played Sandy in the 1978 musical film, admitted that she is not against a new version of Grease being made, so long as the proper cast is chosen.

Olivia Newton-John - The singer and actress celebrates her 63rd birthday today.

Nikki Nelson / WENN.com

ACM Awards 2012: Taylor Swift

PA Images / Isaac Brekken/AP

"I'm sure they'll try [a remake], and I think it would probably do well because people would be curious," Newton-John said on Showbiz Tonight.

"But there's something about the originals... that people still want to see. But I'm sure they'll do it, and they'll do an updated version, and it'll be great. Lately, I've thought Taylor Swift could probably [play Sandy], because she's very talented. And my daughter, I've always thought she could."

Swift was recently rumoured to be in the running to play Joni Mitchell in a forthcoming biopic.

The 'Love Story' singer has promised not to take on roles that she is not "obsessed" with as it would not be fair to take them from actors who wanted the parts more.

Watch 'You're The One That I Want' from Grease below: