OFFSTAGE: Should Taylor Swift Be Drug-Free Spokeswoman?

Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift

(CMT Offstage keeps a 24/7 watch on everything that's happening with country music artists behind the scenes and out of the spotlight.)

I think Taylor Swift may be on to something. Of all the drug-free and above-the-influence campaigns out there, I don't think anything is quite as compelling as Swift's reasoning for avoiding the party-girl ways. She says she doesn't get drunk because it's not cute. And she doesn't smoke pot (or anything else) because she sings. That's just one part of her interview on Sunday (Nov. 20) night's 60 Minutes on CBS. She admits she has had drinks before, but that she is not "a drinker." They will talk more about that, I'm sure, and about Swift's status as a role model. "It would be really easy to say, 'I'm 21 now. I do what I want. You raise your kids.' But that's not the truth of it. The truth of it is that every singer out there with songs on the radio is raising the next generation. So make your words count," she says. "I definitely think about a million people when I'm getting dressed in the morning. And that's just part of my life now. I think it's my responsibility to know it and to be conscious of it."