Taylor Swift sings about ex Gyllenhaal?

Taylor Swift has said her new album will be about an "absolute crash-and-burn heartbreak" prompting speculation that the subject could be her ex, Jake Gyllenhaal.

Swift (22), who was talking to Vogue, said that she was working on her fourth single and was currently single. Famous for wearing her heart on her sleeve, the country-pop crossover singer previously penned the ballad 'Dear John'' which was seen as a pop at her ex-boyfriend John Mayer.

"There's just been this earth-shattering, not recent, but absolute crash-and-burn heartbreak and that will turn out to be what the next album is about," she told Vogue for its February edition.

"The only way that I can feel better about myself - pull myself out of that awful pain of losing someone - is writing songs about it to get some sort of clarity," she said.

Swift dated Jake Gyllenhaal for about three months in late 2010 before their relationship ended around Christmas time. A number of US celebrity magazines claimed that Gyllenhaal had ended the relationship because he was unhappy at the attention the couple was generating.

"I think I am smart unless I am really, really in love, and then I am ridiculously stupid," Swift told Vogue. But she said she had learned some of the romantic pitfalls to avoid, including obsessive privacy.

"I can't deal with someone who's obsessed with privacy. People kind of care if there are two famous people dating. But no one cares that much. If you care about privacy to the point where we need to dig a tunnel under this restaurant so that we can leave? I can't do that."