N.J. student excited about date with Taylor Swift

Kevin McGuire, senior at Sterling Regional High School in Stratford, N.J., is giddy for his date Sunday.

In Las Vegas. At the Academy of Country Music Awards. With Taylor Swift.

I know, its insane, McGuire said Thursday before taking a deep breath. I need to start packing. I dont even have a suitcase. Thats how delayed I am.

However, preparations are difficult to make when you are living day to day.

In his second bout with cancer, the Stratford teenager says he has fought his leukemia into remission with loads of chemotherapy and positivity, boosted by an affirmative answer from Swift.

Its always great to be in remission but just because its in remission doesnt (excuse me) from chemo and stuff, McGuire, 18, said. Last week kicked my butt. Last week I was in chemo five days a week for five hours a day.

After a 20-day stay at Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia, McGuire has returned home and is receiving treatment from an outpatient unit.

In a bit of happenstance, McGuire received good news toward the end of last weeks 25 hours of chemotherapy.

I got a two-week break (from chemotherapy) and it just so happened its for this weekend, he says. Im in great spirits.

However great he feels, McGuire knows until he boards the plane with his family Saturday, his status is up in the air.

I was excited, says McGuire, before correcting himself. I am excited but Im trying to prepare myself in case my counts are too low.

Counts of blood cells and hemoglobin need to be strong to ensure McGuire can make the 2,500-mile trip to Las Vegas, site of the 47th Academy of Country Music Awards.

Swift has taken care of the trips remaining details.

I believe theres going to be an after party, says McGuire with a hint of uncertainly, adding that his mother and sister know more about the night itinerary. Im just a pretty face in this situation.

Through her people, the 22-year-old superstar has provided McGuire with a tuxedo and shoes, airfare fo! r him an d his family, and hotel accommodations.

(Page 2 of 2)

But it was Swifts initial gesture to take Kevin to the awards show that made a fan out of his grandmother, Dolores McGuire.

She must be a great person to care that much for my grandson, the elder McGuire says. I just bought two of her CDs.

Kevin McGuire, who was first diagnosed with cancer as a 13-year-old, thought he had defeated the illness in 2010. This time, he has not fought cancer alone.

I was on Facebook a lot in the hospital, and all these friend requests and this overwhelming response from people that I dont even know. Its just, I believe positivity in your head is just as much help as your chemo is.

And all these people saying Good job! and Were proud of you, its been the perfect medicine for me to get out of there.

McGuire believes the power of social media pales in comparison to the will of his older sister, Victoria McGuire.

Within a week of creating the Facebook event page Taylor Swift take KEVIN MCGUIRE TO PROM!, Victoria got the attention of more than 100,000 supporters, including Swift. The page has more than 128,000 people.

My sister is amazing, McGuire says. She will not stop until she gives me the world.

On Feb. 24, Swift responded on her Facebook page: Kevin, Im so sorry but I wont be able to make it to your prom, the singer wrote. But I was wondering, the (Academy of Country Music) Awards are coming upWould you be my date? Love, Taylor.

While short of a love story, Swifts gesture raised awareness of Kevins wish, ensuring he at least wouldnt be going stag to his second fight with cancer.

In an instant, the Twitter hashtag Team Kevin was trending and his story was viral.

Safe to say, there has been no shortage of support -- or girls willing to fill in for Swift at the prom.

He has had so many girls from other states contacting him on Facebook, saying theyd take him to the prom a couple thousand miles away and Ill fly myself into Jersey, s! ays McGu ires cousin Nicole Durand of Somerdale, N.J., who monitors the Facebook page.

Though flattered by the response, McGuire says hes taken.

A week or so ago, my one friend (Meghan Kelly) decided to go together, says McGuire, so luckily I have a date.

But McGuire says he cannot afford to look ahead to the June prom.

Ive been living day by day, but mainly this past couple weeks Ive been doing the best I can to not get sick, or mess up, he says. Im still kind of living in the moment and the best I can for Taylor.