Taylor Swift music inspired by Dr Seuss

Taylor Swift has said that children's books have inspired her to write songs.

The country star - who has had worldwide success with albums including Fearless and Speak Now - revealed that Dr Seuss literature was the reason she became exposed to song-like prose in her childhood.

The 54th Annual Grammy Awards: Red Carpet: Taylor Swift

PA Images / Chris Pizzello/AP

Swift provides the voice of Audrey in the big-screen version of Dr Seuss's The Lorax, and explained the part that children's literature has played in her career at the film's premiere in Los Angeles.

She told E! Online: "I loved reading books just when I was a child. When I was growing up, I'm pretty sure that was my first exposure to poetry. And I just loved it."

Swift also told reporters on the red carpet about the role that the late Whitney Houston played in her life.

"I was a huge fan of Whitney. And I was also a fan of her spirit," she said. "She was always smiling and I just always felt like she was relatable."

The Lorax is released on March 2 in the US and July 27 in the UK, and features the voices of stars including Zac Efron, The Hangover's ! Ed Helms , Betty White and Danny DeVito.

> Taylor Swift debuts 'Safe and Sound' music video - watch
> Taylor Swift jokes about straightened hair

Watch The Lorax trailer below: